Minsk fortified defense area was part of western frontier fortified defense zone created in late 1920s - 1940. The hardened field defense area followed the Soviet Union old borderline. Most pillboxes (in Russian: DOT – permanent defense fire units) were built between 1932 and 1934. The fortified area stretched from north Plieščanicy to Stańkava and included towns of Zaslavl and Dziarzynsk. The front fortification defense line was approx. 140 km. long.
In 1939, the country’s border was moved further west, and most pillbox bunkers were abandoned. During World War II, the 7th Battalion defense area neighbored to the left flank of Maladziecna route and bordered to Rakau route. The front area stretched for 12 kms; some fortifications were 5 km deep in the ground; and the area covered villages Chmieleuka, Viazynka, Varashyly, and Krukava, located in some 2.5 kms. from the border. In total, Zaslavl Battalion area had three artillery defense pillboxes equipped with two 76-mm anti-tank guns, one tank defense pillbox equipped with 45-mm T-26 tank gun, and 27 machine gun defense pillboxes with 68 mounted and 53 hand-held machine guns. Many pillboxes were used in Zaslavl in June, 1941 and have numerous battle damages. Some pillboxes kept the enemy’s advance for up to four days and mangled the foes to avoid further attacks on Minsk.